Economics, as a subject in under graduation was introduced when the college was established in 1965. Postgraduation (M.A.) was introduced as a self finance subject in 1999.
The Economics Department of the College comprises of a dynamic faculty with diverse specializations and interests, committed to llround development of students.
The teaching methodology in the department focuses on classroom lectures with written assignments, student presentations. The use of ICT in daily teaching- learning is increasingly being adopted in the department through the use of smart t.v. and projector. The faculty endeavors to preserve the vibrant academic atmosphere in order to provide high quality education.
All activities of the Department are aimed at encouraging students in various extra-curricular and co-curricular activities, which encourage them to explore beyond the frontiers of the prescribed syllabus, evaluate current economic issues.
(a) Department’s Mission
To produce highly qualified, well rounded and motivated students with a sound knowledge of the subject and its applicability in real world to serve the society and the nation.
- To undertake and encourage high quality research in various disciplines of Economics with a motive to give new shape and extension to existing theories in the field and make recommendations in policy issues.
(b) Educational Objectives of the Department
To impart knowledge in economics and to up skill the students with problem solving, technical and good communication skills to ensure employability.
- To inculcate and instill in the students the fundamentals and principles of the various branches of Economics to build a strong base for pursuing higher education and jobs.
- To develop critical thinking, encouraging them to apply economic reasoning to policy issues in a critical manner, assessing performance of the domestic and global economy.
- To develop an understanding of sources and content of economic data.
- To motivate students for self enhancement through continual expansion of knowledge and personality development.